If you aren’t sure how to start your mindfulness journey, enjoying your morning cuppa in a more purposeful way might work wonder. Many of us have lost the ability to enjoy the moment. We rush through the morning to get somewhere.
With all the rushing , we miss the opportunity to experience peace and joy of the moment. Practicing mindful tea making & drinking can be a lovely peaceful way to start the day. You can also use coffee for this purpose if that is what you prefer.
This kind of mindfulness practice has been mastered by Japanese for many years. The Japanese tea ceremony is also known as Chanoyu, Sado or Ocha in Japanese.
The tea ceremony is a beautiful ritual, dating back for over 1,000 years. The tea was originally consumed at temples for purely religious pursuits.
The ceremony is a finely tuned ritual that involves many things including the preparation and serving of the tea. Japanese green tea, or Matcha, is often used and combined with sweets to balance out the somewhat bitter taste of the tea. The tea ceremony is not just about drinking the tea. The whole process is celebrated and enjoyed mindfully with 100 % of attention and focus: from preparing the tea, to stirring the tea to sipping the tea.
You can use this simple technique at work or at home as a way to practice mindfulness through an everyday act. As part of this process, you focus your awareness on the sounds, tastes, and experience of the tea making and tasting ritual.
When it is done properly, this mindfulness practice may enhance and awaken your awareness of the present moment and helps to create a sense of stillness in the mind and body.
Tea Ceremony Mindfulness Exercise
It’s best to set aside a certain time each day (preferably first thing in the morning) to do your tea ceremony. The is a form of self-care that will help you carry those peaceful feelings and stillness throughout your day. Here are the steps to a simple tea ceremony that you can do at home. As mentioned earlier, if you prefer, tea can be replaced with coffee
- Start by gathering your tools. You will need water, a teakettle, a teapot, teacups, loose-leaf tea, and an offering like a flower in a vase. Be sure to use teacups and saucers that are beautiful or meaningful for you.
- Prepare a peaceful space where you can enjoy your tea. You can also light a candle or some incense if desired. Place your flower or vase on the table.
- Begin by setting an intention. This could be something simple like practicing mindfulness or simply reconnecting with that peaceful part of your being.
- Boil water in the kettle.
- Place a spoonful of loose-leaf tea into your favorite teapot.
- As you do this, smell the aroma of the dried leaves as they settle into the pot.
- Next, listen to the sound of the water as it is being poured over the leaves. As you observe this, notice how beautiful the leaves seem as they swell and expand.
- Think about the process that went into harvesting the tea leaves. Imagine the tea leaves being handpicked, just for you. Thank and bless all of those people who put so much effort and love into this process.
- Notice how the water changes color and notice the steam rising from the pot.
- As you pour the tea to your favorite teacup, listen to the sounds the tea makes. Swirl the tea gently around the cup and drink in the aroma.
- Take a nice deep breath in through your nose and out through your mouth. Express some gratitude for this moment by blessing those things and people you have in your life.
- If you prefer adding milk, cream or sugar, go ahead and do that now. Watch the milk or cream as it swirls around the cup. Slowly stir in sugar, or simply stir your cup to mix everything up. Notice how lovely the spoon sounds as it hits the edge of the cup slowly and rhythmically.
- Now slowly prepare to take your first sip. Gently bring the cup up to your mouth. Smell the lovely aroma. Savor each mouthful, fully appreciating the rich aroma and fragrance. Pay attention to how the tea feels as it moves down your throat and enters your stomach.
- And as you put the cup down, reflect on how this process makes you feel. Fully enjoy this moment.
Strive to enjoy every part of the process from preparation to that last sip. Feel the love and feel the joy, reflect on how this ceremony makes you feel before you proceed with your usual activities. Take as much time as you would like, enjoying your tea. You deserve this self love time. There is nothing more relaxing than taking 5 or 10 minutes to enjoy a beautiful cup of tea and it is a great way to start the day.
Bountiful Bird is inspired by a shared commitment to the values of generosity and freedom which infuse our name. Our mission is to play a part in helping women feel and be the best version of themselves through use of natural remedies to restore balance.
Claim back the unique, confident and full of energy YOU. We hope that here you’ll find path to the well being you deserve.