If you are after a quick and simple recipe with ingredients that you definitely have at home, this is for you.
This recipe is simplified vegetarian version of a popular Indonesian side dish/snack , called perkedel. The original version often include beef/pork mince.
Perkedel (Potato fritter)
Serve: 12 pieces
- 6 x large washed potato of your choice
- 1 x large egg (separate egg white into a small bowl, lightly beaten)
- salt/pepper to taste
- optional: chives
- Boil the potatoes in a pot
- Exact timing depends on the size of potato (approx 15-20 minutes). Poke the potato with a fork, paring knife, or skewer at 15mins. If the utensil slides easily all the way to the center, the potatoes are done.
- After cooling for few minutes, peel the potatoes in a large bowl
- Use a fork to roughly mash the boiled potatoes, leave some chunks in, it tastes better
- Seasoned with salt/pepper, do a taste test
- Shape the potato mash into 12 x bite sized patties
- Heat some oil on a non stick flat pan
- Coat each of the patties with egg white, then gently drop into hot oil and fry each side until golden brown.
- Serve while hot