Fall is the time where the “Yang” energy of summer starts to fade into winter’s “Yin” energy. It is time to nurture our body to prepare for the upcoming colder months. In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), Fall is associated with energy of “wind” which can create excess “dryness”. To stay healthy in this season change, it is recommended to eat moistening food such as pear, barley, soy milk, tofy, pine nuts, persimmon etc. It is also recommended to eat warmer food such as light soup, stew and less raw salad.
Try this hearty porridge breakfast recipe with mosturizing roast pear and other healthy toppings. The Chia Seed and medjool dates provides extra fibre and added sweetness to the porridge.
Mosturizing Roast Pear, Chia Seed and Date Porridge
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 1/4 cup of chia seeds
- 2-3 Medjool dates, pits removed
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of maca powder (optional)
- 1/2 x pear
- 4 cups of water
- 1 cup of plant based milk (almond, oat, rice etc)
- Optional toppings: cocoa bits, roast coconut flakes, pumpkin seeds, chopped dates
- Mix rolled oats, chia seeds, water and bring to boil
- Add milk in and stir. Then add dates, cinnamon and maca powder. Leave some chopped dates for toppings (optional)
- Cook at low heat for 5-8 minutes, stir occasionally. Add water to achieve your preferred consistency.
- In the mean time, slice pear and roast them together with coconut flakes in the oven for 1 minute or until slightly brown (350F)
- Remove from heat and serve.
- Line up your roast pear slices in the middle of the bowl then decorate with other chosen toppings