Chinese meal is often considered incomplete without having a bowl of sweet soup to cap off a wonderful meal. This sweet soup/dessert is also commonly known as tong sui.
Sweet Mung Bean Soup is considered cooling therefore perfect for summer season or whenever you experience mouth ulcers and/or gum redness/swelling which are symptoms indicating excessive heat in the body.
This tasty traditional dessert is very easy to prepare with minimal ingredients. Why not give it a try?
- 1 cup mung beans (rinsed and soaked for at least 1 hours, drained)
- 1 tbsp jasmine rice (rinsed and soaked for at least 1/2 hour, drained)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar *
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 cup sago / tapioca pearls (optional)
- coconut cream (optional)
* or other alternative sweetener preferred such as brown sugar, gula melaka, honey etc. You can adjust amount according to your preferred sweetness.
- In a large pot, combine mung beans and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes or until mung bean splits open.
- Add rice and sugar and continue to simmer for another 15 mins.
- Then add sago. Simmer for another 10 mins until sago turn translucent completely. The rice and sago adds smooth texture to this soup.
- If soup gets too thick, add some water and frequently stir.
- It’s ready to serve in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp of coconut cream in and stir.
- Keeps well in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat in microwave for 1-2 minute (add some water if too thick) and serve.
Bountiful Bird is inspired by a shared commitment to the values of generosity and freedom which infuse our name. Our mission is to play a part in helping women feel and be the best version of themselves through use of natural remedies to restore balance.
Claim back the unique, confident and full of energy YOU. We hope that here you’ll find path to the well being you deserve.