Chinese meal is often considered incomplete without having a bowl of sweet soup to cap off a wonderful meal. This sweet soup/dessert is also commonly known as tong sui.
Sweet Mung Bean Soup is considered cooling therefore perfect for summer season or whenever you experience mouth ulcers and/or gum redness/swelling which are symptoms indicating excessive heat in the body.
This tasty traditional dessert is very easy to prepare with minimal ingredients. Why not give it a try?
- 1 cup mung beans (rinsed and soaked for at least 1 hours, drained)
- 1 tbsp jasmine rice (rinsed and soaked for at least 1/2 hour, drained)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar *
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 cup sago / tapioca pearls (optional)
- coconut cream (optional)
* or other alternative sweetener preferred such as brown sugar, gula melaka, honey etc. You can adjust amount according to your preferred sweetness.
- In a large pot, combine mung beans and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes or until mung bean splits open.
- Add rice and sugar and continue to simmer for another 15 mins.
- Then add sago. Simmer for another 10 mins until sago turn translucent completely. The rice and sago adds smooth texture to this soup.
- If soup gets too thick, add some water and frequently stir.
- It’s ready to serve in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp of coconut cream in and stir.
- Keeps well in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat in microwave for 1-2 minute (add some water if too thick) and serve.